www.monkeybiker.net

Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 8 inlägg ] 
Författare Meddelande
 Inläggsrubrik: c70/c90/Chaly/Wave110/Wave125 engine on Monkey?
InläggPostat: ons jan 04, 2012 9:28 pm 

Hi everybody!

First post... I've owned a Skyteam 50cc for a year now, and buying it is the best thing I ever did! Even if the quality of some of the parts are not exactly top notch, I expected no more for the price. Good thing is that there is no shortage of extra parts to be found.

I have heard that the original Honda engines from the Cub c70/c90 or the Chaly or the Honda Wave 110/125 will fit on a standard monkeybike frame. (Skyteam st50-8).

Does anyone know if this is true? I'm thinking about buying one of these engines on my next holiday and bring it back home in my bag... :lol:

I've driven more than 10000 km on a Honda Wave 125cc in all kinds of terrain and have never had any problem whatsoever. Fantastic engines!! Never had it serviced, only changed oil on it after every 1000km. (And I bought the bike used!)

The skyteam (50cc) engine on the other hand... does not impress me so much. I've had so many problems with it the last year that I would have given the bike up a long time ago if it wasn't for a buddy of mine who have helped me every single time the bike broke down, and fixed it for me.

I'm no expert when it comes to mechanical work on motorcycles, (though I wish that was the case - I'm learning, but it's going to take time) and I want an engine I can rely on. I want to be able to drive long trips and be sure I don't have to walk home.

Your views would be most appreciated.

Inläggsrubrik: Re: c70/c90/Chaly/Wave110/Wave125 engine on Monkey?
InläggPostat: tor jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm 
Site Admin
Användarvisningsbild

D.D.Prettaboire skrev:
Hi everybody!

First post... I've owned a Skyteam 50cc for a year now, and buying it is the best thing I ever did! Even if the quality of some of the parts are not exactly top notch, I expected no more for the price. Good thing is that there is no shortage of extra parts to be found.

I have heard that the original Honda engines from the Cub c70/c90 or the Chaly or the Honda Wave 110/125 will fit on a standard monkeybike frame. (Skyteam st50-8).

Does anyone know if this is true? I'm thinking about buying one of these engines on my next holiday and bring it back home in my bag... :lol:

I've driven more than 10000 km on a Honda Wave 125cc in all kinds of terrain and have never had any problem whatsoever. Fantastic engines!! Never had it serviced, only changed oil on it after every 1000km. (And I bought the bike used!)

The skyteam (50cc) engine on the other hand... does not impress me so much. I've had so many problems with it the last year that I would have given the bike up a long time ago if it wasn't for a buddy of mine who have helped me every single time the bike broke down, and fixed it for me.

I'm no expert when it comes to mechanical work on motorcycles, (though I wish that was the case - I'm learning, but it's going to take time) and I want an engine I can rely on. I want to be able to drive long trips and be sure I don't have to walk home.

Your views would be most appreciated.

Hi there and welcome to monkeybiker.net

Yes the cub, wave and nice engines will fit bolt on, and is great quality engines. But if you want to buy a good performance engine I would go for the daytona engines.

Best regards

Mikael

InläggPostat: tor jan 05, 2012 6:46 pm 
Användarvisningsbild

Hello and welcome to this eminent forum!
Skyteam is one of the best Chinese motors on the market, despite the varying quality. Yes it is true that Honda engines fits bulton. Hope you find a good engine and has many beautiful miles on your monkey. Please take out some pictures of your beauty here.

Bert

InläggPostat: sön jan 08, 2012 12:25 pm 
Användarvisningsbild

D.D.Prettaboire skrev:

I'm not quite sure if all Honda engines will fit straigth into your frame.
My z50M had a C90-engine mounted when I bought it. Previous owner had made a special mount to get the C90 engine fit.
In the 80ies I tried mounting a S90 engine on my Dax, and what I remember was that it did not fit.
I may check mounting the C90 on a z50K-frame and take some pictures later.
Engines from Chaly, Wave etc will, at the other hand, fit.

C90 left and z50 right
Bild

Engine mount on C90 (should be turned 180 degrees)
Bild

Zfifty skrev:
But if you want to buy a good performance engine I would go for the daytona engines.

Agree! When will this one, http://www.dirt-bike-store.com/Engine_ANIMA_DAYTONA_190-shop_view-6400-492.html appear in your eminent shop, Zfifty?

1971 Honda z50 K2
1972 Honda z50 K3
1972 Honda ST70 Dax
1974 Honda z50 K6
1989 Honda XBR 500
1990 Honda GL 1500 Gold Wing
2013 Monkeydrag
Monkeybikum necesse est, vivere non est necesse

InläggPostat: sön jan 08, 2012 5:10 pm 
Användarvisningsbild

Petterdax skrev:
I may check mounting the C90 on a z50K-frame and take some pictures later.

Later: I checked with a z50K6-frame. The C90-engine did not fit directly, and will not fit a Dax either, nor a chineese copy, without mounting brackets:

BildBild

BildBild

1971 Honda z50 K2
1972 Honda z50 K3
1972 Honda ST70 Dax
1974 Honda z50 K6
1989 Honda XBR 500
1990 Honda GL 1500 Gold Wing
2013 Monkeydrag
Monkeybikum necesse est, vivere non est necesse

InläggPostat: mån jan 09, 2012 6:53 am 

Thanks for all the helpful answers. And thanks Petterdax for taking the time to check. I guess I will go for a Honda wave engine then. 110cc or 125cc. Most important thing for me is to find an engine that's reliable and will not require much work on the road :lol: I should get a complete engine right? With carb and all. Will the wiring fit with the standard skyteam wiring loom? Any thing else I need to buy with the engine while I'm there?

I would love to get one of those Daytona engines, but that will have to wait until I get to know my monkey better he,he...

Do any of you know approximately how much a typical engine weighs in kilo?

I will post pictures when I am back from the east with the engine and get it mounted on the monkey. Right now the bike is in parts in my living room. I am replacing a lot of the chinese parts 8)

InläggPostat: mån jan 09, 2012 9:51 am 
Site Admin
Användarvisningsbild

D.D.Prettaboire-

Please be aware of that most of the newer Honda engines now days have the injection system, so if you get your hand on one of those engines you need the complete wiring loom and electronics CDI etc.

The older carburetor based engines are no worries at all :)

-=Le singe professionnel=-

Monkey Bikes, made by Honda, copied by the Chinese, ridden by morons...

Kines Skyteam 125cc Gorilla -06

InläggPostat: fre jan 13, 2012 1:03 pm 

Aahhh.. Thanks Pro_Monkey. That's a good tip. I wouldn't have thought of that. I will be looking for an engine in Vietnam or Cambodia, maybe Laos. So I think it will be mostly engines of the carburetor type, but if I can't find one, I might fly by Thailand as they have a massive amount of monkey parts / honda engines available over there. I think 125i engines are more common there. But a lot more expensive I would guess.

I've ordered plenty of parts for the monkey from USA, Asia and England already and will be ordering from the monkeybiker.net shop as well so I will post some pictures here when the parts start arriving in the mail 8)

Visa inlägg nyare än:  Sortera efter  
Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 8 inlägg ]